Friday, April 19, 2013

Technological Applications in the Classroom

One Monday afternoon as I was tutoring in a second grade classroom at Lewis and Clark Elementary School here in Missoula, Ms. Harris asked her students to grab their iPads and complete their diary entry for the day. I know the iPads have become a common technology found in schools and classrooms of all ages, but I had never been in a room watching while every student worked individually on their own iPad. I sat in amazement. Not only was I socked that the school could afford each student to have their own within the classroom, but more so because each student was working with these iPads with such ease. I watched in amazement as one of the students quietly got out of her chair, walked to the window, took a picture of her favorite playground activity and returned to her seat to upload it into her daily journal entry. She proceeded to tell me that because she signed a contract, she was allowed to take the iPad home so she could share it with her parents.
I realize that this is the day and age we live in, but it never fails to impress me how accesible technology has become. Whether folks support or not, this is now the world we live in. Regardless of our education  odds are that many of our students are going to know how to use most "apps" before we do and they are going to be explaining to us how to use a smart board.
The world is changing, and changing fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment